Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Six Months Later...

Wow, my first post on running blog-land since leaving stateside six months ago to attend an unplanned vacation which was extended to 15 months. The workload has settled down so I hope to drop a post once or twice a week to let you know how the running is going. Yes, believe it or not, I’m able to put in some runs despite the unsafe environment. In fact, running has been consistent over the past few months after not running a single mile in January and February. Getting back into some type of running shape was a bit painful at first, but the fitness seems to be coming along fine. On Sunday I ended the week at 64 miles, my highest weekly mileage since last December when I ran Rocket City. The goal for now is to just run and sustain some type of base, hopefully around 50-60 miles/week. With no Running Circles to accompany me on my runs, I had no choice but to adopt a friend from the Garmin family. His name is Forerunner 205. Forerunner keeps me motivated, accompanies me in every run and even measures the run route for me. I never have to worry about him sleeping in too.

Well, enough about Forerunner, this is about me. Yesterday, I ran easy for an hour covering 8.6 miles (6:57 pace). This morning I put in 10 miles which included 5 x ½ mi with ½ mile recoveries. The splits were all over the place at 2:48, 2:39, 2:46, 2:41, & 2:42. It doesn’t really matter since there are no scheduled races on the calendar, at least for the next nine months. The thing that does matter is that I’m still able to put one foot in front of the other.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wayne, glad to see you're back stateside here for a little while. I'm running Peachtree tomorrow in less than stellar shape. I guess I really don't have an excuse not to run if you are putting n that kind of mileage in IRAQ! Stay safe man!

Phil said...

Great to have you back and posting. Can't tell you how much we all appreciate what you're doing. Must of us wouldn't or don't have the courage.

Best of luck getting back into peak shape. It'll come quick.

Dubs said...

Welcome back!! I love my forerunner. I got mine since I get lost all the time, but have found it to be a great companion on some runs as well.

Glad you are staying safe and thanks for all you do to keep us safe!!