The Jesolo 10K race in Italy, during my vacation trip to Venice, was a huge breakthrough for me. I cut a whopping 39 seconds off my previous PB. More importantly, it was a confidence booster for me leading into the Munich Marathon. Three weeks before Munich, I ran the Hoogland half-marathon expecting to run a PB and go sub-1:13. Unfortunately, mother nature wasn't nice and treated us to some crazy winds. On the bright side, my girlfriend and I both won our race, so it was a good day after all. By the way, my half-marathon PB was from the CPC Loop Den Haag Half-Marathon early in the year as part of my tune-up for Rotterdam. In that half-marathon, which was also windy but not as bad as the Hoogland half, I cut my half-marathon PB by 22 seconds, but still came up short of a sub-1:13. I will run the race again in 2011 as a tune-up for Rotterdam (yes, again) and hopefully break some new ground in the half.
Munich Marathon was by far the highlight of the year. I not only ran a new personal best, but I also finally went sub-2:34, a time I should have acheived at Berlin in '09 and Rotterdam last April. It's a step in the right direction towards that illustrious sub-2:30. Besides the PB, something I'm most proud of is finishing in the Top 10 (9th overall). Yes, I know Munich doesn't attract or have the elite runners as big-name marathons like Berlin, Boston, London, etc. does, but hey, it's still a top 10 finish and it's not like Munich is not a well-known city. Where did Frank Shorter win the 1972 Olympic Marathon? :-)
Here are some numbers for the 2010 running year:
- Ran a total of 9 races, 5 different race distances and 4 PBs. Interestingly, I ran 2 races each at the following distances: 10K, 15K, half-marathon, and marathon.
- Ran a total of 3700 miles, that's an average of 71 miles/week or 10 miles/day.
- Logged 9 weeks at 100 or more miles. Highest weekly mileage was 122 miles, which is also a career high. Lowest weekly mileage was 4 miles.
- Ran a race in 3 different countries - Netherlands, Germany and Italy.\
- Went through 8 running shoes: 4 x Saucony Grid Tangents, 2 x Asics 2140, one NB 904 and one NB 740.
Update!!! I just finished my last run and race of 2010. Ran the New Year's Eve race (Sylvesterloop 10K) and PR'd by 17 seconds running 32:58 for 5th place. What a great way to end the year!