Saturday, April 11, 2009

Marathon simulation

Last Sunday's unplanned 26 mile long run certainly took a little on the body, especially with a 10-mile marathon pace run two days prior. To ensure I recovered from it, I only did easy running from Monday to Friday.

Today, I did the Paderborner Half-Marathon. The intent of the race was to simulate marathon race day; get the feeling of marathon pace while practicing taking in my gels and fluids. The race started at 3pm, which I thought was quite late in the day. Temperature was very warm at 75 degrees. Ran 1:16:56, about 30 seconds faster than where I want to be at the halfway mark in Hamburg. The pace felt good and comfortable, but the HR was probably a tad higher than I think it should be for marathon pace, but I'd say it was mainly because of the warm temps. I'm just praying that the weather in two weeks will be 10-15 degrees cooler. Time to begin the two-week taper.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Things are really looking good between your 10 mile time trial, the 10K and the paces on the long runs (especially the second half of the last one). I still believe in Pfitzinger's philosophy about marathon goal pace, where if you can run the first half of your long runs at 15% percent slower than goal pace, then run the second half (or last ten) at 10% slower (and still be fairly comfortable), your goal is realistic.

If you let your body soak up all the work you've done during these two weeks I expect to hear about a very good result. Best of luck.

Wayne said...

Thanks for the reassurance Mike.