Sunday, January 04, 2009

Some progress

On Tuesday I had the achilles checked out by a doctor, who said it wasn't too bad and that I should give it some rest by taking a couple weeks off. She recommended applying RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and taking anti-inflammatory pills, which I've been doing both since I encountered the injury. Is it me or do all doctors say the same thing? I really wanted to tell her that I wouldn't be here if I hadn't tried any self-treatment. Frustation was setting in.

I did take the doctors advice though and gave the legs some rest, one week that is. The achilles has been feeling a lot better. However, it was tough to tell because it was never in pain while walking. So, I decided to see how it'll feel on a short run. I ran a slow and easy 4 miles in 30 minutes. The achilles didn't hurt at all, but there was still some stiffness on it. I did some drills on the grass afterwards and the achilles felt better. I'll give it some more rest over the next couple days and hope that I'll be back to some normal running by the end of the week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did your doctor do any xrays on the heel for a heel spur/plantar facitis? Or was it diagnosed as tendonitis?

Wayne said...

No, the doctor didn't do any xrays.

But you bring up a good point about heel spur/plantar fascitis. The achilles tendon feels okay, but the slight pain is now just below the heel. Started to feel it last night and a bit today. I'm icing it and treating as a possible plantar fascitis, but it's toward the back of the foot and not the middle.