Sunday, July 02, 2006

Scary moment

I was going to write this portion at the end of the previous post, but decided to create a new one since the other post was already long enough.

If you read my last post you would know that I started my Sunday run a little later than I wanted to, 7am instead of 6am. I go to church (Catholic) every Sunday after my long run. I planned to go to the 9:30 mass, so I shouldn't have a problem making it there after the run. I ran for approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes. If you do the math, that's 40 minutes till the start of mass. Forty minutes is a lot of time to stretch, take in my recovery drink (Endurox), shower and change, and then drive to church. My endurox is normally enough to satisfy my thirst and hunger until mass is done.

Well, I got to church with a few minutes to spare. I was tired from my run and I knew it was going to be a difficult task trying to stay awake throughout mass. I was doing really good until it came time to kneel. I put my head down and felt myself doze off. My entire body suddenly felt like it was blacking out. The palm of my hands, arms, legs, and face started to sweat badly. I tried to open my eyes but all I saw was darkness. I was also feeling dizzy. At this point, all I can tell myself was to pray. I don't remember how many "Our Father's" and "Hail Mary's" I said, but I somehow managed to gain conscious. I then sat down and started to feel a little better. When the instance of "show some sign of peace" came, I think I only shook the hand of the person in front of me. I did not have the strength to turn left, right, or behind me to show peace. Surprisingly, I felt a lot better and was able to take communion.

This is the 2nd time I'd experienced this. The 1st time was 6 weeks ago (I actually logged it in my running log). Same situation - after a long run, kneeling during church. Immediately following church, I ate brunch and drank lots of fluids. I don't think it's dehydration or refueling. It may be that the body is not getting enough blood circulation when I kneel down. I'm not sure, but if anyone knows feel free to share. For now, I'm thinking of going back to attending Saturday Vigil Mass.

3 comments:

Dubs said...

That is scary - have you seen a doctor? Do you have some sort of athletic trainer in the military or a buddy that is in the medical world? That is one I would get checked out -- especially if you are getting enough water and sugar.

Hey - thanks for being in the military!! I'm lucky to be born a US citizen and even more lucky people like you keep it safe & free. THANK YOU!

Wayne said...

The only medical person I've seen in the past year is a physical therapist. I'll go in soon to get checked by a doctor.

Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

Coach,
I think with the humidity you are losing a lot of electrolytes. The amount of electrolytes you are intaking after the run with the endurox is not enough and you may need to try and eat a power bar with it. I am no doctor but it really sounds like chemical imbalance as far as the electrolytes. Since this is the second time, you need to get to the doctor ASAP! Get some blood work done just to make sure it's nothing else.