Thursday, June 22, 2006

Beat down!

Beat down! That's what I felt like after my run this morning. The NC summer weather is definitely here. As soon as I opened my door in the early morning I could already tell that today's run was going to suck. By the time I started my run around 0640 the sun and humidity was kicking. I couldn't run earlier because my company formation is at 0630.

Today's workout was a 90 minute "thirds" progression run. It's basically running the 1st third easy, 2nd third medium, and 3rd third medium-hard. If we're talking pace then it corresponds to around 7:00-7:15 (1st third), 6:30-6:45 (2nd thrid), & 6:00-6:15 (3rd third) pace. I do this workout to build my endurance and stamina. The workout is tough in itself and I knew it was going to be suck with today's weather. I averaged 7:07/mile for the first 30 minutes. The pace was easy and I was feeling good, but I was beginning to sweat a lot already. I ran the 2nd 30 minutes steady and averaged about 6:34/mile. At this point, I'm an hour into my run and I can tell that my heart rate and breathing is higher than I want it to be. The legs started to feel tired and the mind was telling my body to take the last third easy or end the run earlier. I think what makes a runner mentally and physically stronger is when he/she reaches the "I quit" zone. I've been through this zone many times during marathon training. Instead of increasing the pace, I decided to keep the same pace for the first 10 minutes of the last thirds in hopes of feeling better. I then told myself that I was going to hurt either way, so I ran the last 20 minutes hard. I think the pace flunctuated between 5:50 - 6:10. It definitely felt harder. I looked like I'd just got out of the shower when I finished my run.

Today's Run: 1:29:43

2 comments:

marappu said...

The workout was supposed to be 90 minutes. What happened?

Wayne said...

It's funny you mentioned that, because if I was running with you I'll have to run for 17 seconds more.