Sunday, June 11, 2006

A run of laughter

I meet up with my friend Jaime at Callahan Gym, our normal sunday meeting point and start of friday's 10-mile race. I want to put in a decent run of about 10-13 miles or 90 minutes. My quads are a still a bit tight, but feels okay. We decide to run the race route to discuss how we were feeling and what we were thinking during the miles of the race. I already know this is going to be a run of laughter. We start the run a little slow (about 7:15 pace). After about 10 minutes of running we settle into a comfortable easy pace of about 6:50 - 6:55. We tell our story about the race. Jaime's story and my story are completely opposite. I felt good almost the entire race, while he was struggling to hang on in the 2nd half of the race. He tells me that he was "swimming" by mile 6. That 5:22 4th mile must have broke him. He also mentioned that he wanted to strangle a few spectators during the uphill portion of the last mile. As mentioned in the earlier blog, the last mile is part uphill. A few spectators were encouraging Jaime to catch the runner up ahead, which was me about 150 meters in front. Jaime said that his legs felt like bricks and was not getting anywhere. I could not help but laugh. We finish the 10-mile route in about 68:30. Jaime decides not to run any further, so I say "laters" and continue my run for another 20+ minutes. Today's run felt very easy and enjoyable compared to the race.

Today's Run: 1:30:00

No comments: