Friday, June 09, 2006

How I got into running....

I've decided to keep a blog of my running. Before I begin posting blogs, I'd like to give a brief background of how I got addicted to running. I grew up in an island (Guam) in which baseball was the most popular sport. My brothers, sister, cousins, and friends all played baseball. I started playing baseball since I was about 6 years old. I was very competitive in the sport. If you were a very good player, you made the all-star team, and then had the opportunity to leave the island to compete in the Pacific, Micronesian, Far-East, or even stateside tournaments. Being from Guam, it wasn't very easy to travel to other places. Plane tickets were and are still not cheap at all Throughout my childhood and teenage years, I've traveled to many different places (Saipan, Palau, Tawain, Nevada, Ohio) for baseball tournaments.

Fast-forwarded to my sophmore year of college. During one baseball game, I dove a little late into 3rd base and my left hand caught the base. One of my fingers got injured (luckily it wasn't broken) and I was left watching the rest of the game from the bench. I was still injured when my next game came around. I hated not being on the field with the rest of my teammates. Because I was very active and hated sitting on the bench, I told my coach that I'd be outside running around the stadium so I can stay in shape. That day I discoverd the beauty of running.


One of the things I enjoy about running is meeting other runners. The runners in the picture are my close Guam friends who I first started running with. From L-R: Kaz, Vicki, me, & Fred.

No comments: